Avalon Waterways will unveil its Douro-specific all-suite ship, the Avalon Alegria, in Portugal’s Douro River in 2024.
The name of the ship translates to “happiness” in Portuguese. The Avalon Alegria will include a Sky Deck pool, 14 Deluxe Staterooms, and 37 Panorama Suites, accommodating up to 102 passengers and 33 crew members.
The 8-day Vida Portugal: Vineyards & Villages itinerary is Avalon Waterways’ first Douro itinerary, and it offers “Classic,” “Discovery,” and “Active” excursion choices for all sorts of tourists. An optional 3-night pre-cruise stopover in Lisbon, Portugal is available.
The trip begins in Porto and includes stops in Guimaraes, Porto Antigo, Peso da Regua, Pinhao, the little settlement of Freixo de Numao, Barca d’Alva, Freixo de Espada a Cinta, Salamanca, and a few additional days in Porto.
“We’ve been waiting for the right moment to add Portugal to our extensive holiday portfolio, and that moment has now arrived,” Pam Hoffee, president of Avalon Waterways, said. “We’re introducing the Suite Ships of Avalon, the greatest vistas in cruising, and whim-powered itineraries to Southwestern Europe for the first time, inviting our passengers to sail the Douro for the first time.” And we couldn’t be happier.“
Explore the gorgeous Douro River in Portugal aboard Avalon’s newest addition to our award-winning fleet of Suite Ships®. The Avalon Alegria thrills river travellers with unique experiences and the exquisite but casual comfort that Avalon Waterways has come to expect.
AVALON ALEGRIA SHIP FEATURES
- Sky Deck with premium lounge chairs, pool, & shade awnings
- Onboard Adventure Center with active gear, Nordic walking sticks, & maps
- Virtual DJ Music System playing hits from 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and today.
- Movie Night with fresh popcorn in the Club Lounge or streamed to your in-suite TV.
- Daily lunch buffet with regional and classic dishes, Avalon Fresh® options, and chef specialties with carving & pasta stations
- Al fresco lunch on the Sky Deck (schedule and weather permitting) or light luncheon fare in the Panorama Lounge
- Avalon Fresh healthy cuisine options at every meal
- Included Happy Hour every evening featuring house beer, wine, cocktails and a drink of the day
- Specialty coffees, espresso drinks and beWell Essence flavored and infused water available throughout each day
- Wall-to-Wall Panoramic Windows
- Spacious, open-seating Panorama Dining Room
- State-of-the-art fitness center
- Non-smoking staterooms & ship interior
- Panorama Lounge & Bar with premium spirits, cozy seating, panoramic windows & dance floor
- Convenient Elevator Service
- Elegant, contemporary design
- Outside viewing deck
- Headsets for guided shore excursions
- English-speaking friendly crew, staff & professional Cruise Director
- Welcome & farewell cocktails with sparkling wine & canapés
- Daily buffet breakfast with full range of classic breakfast items, healthy Avalon Fresh options and daily a la carte specials
- Cocktails with a view on the Sky Deck
- Vegetarian options at every meal, as well as vegan and allergy-free selections
- Afternoon Tea featuring tea, coffee, and sweet treats
- Seasonal cuisine featuring the freshest local ingredients
- Chef-prepared onboard meals with regional cuisine and familiar favorites
- Four-course dinners with choice of appetizers, soups, salads, entrées and desserts or cheese
- Complimentary wine, beer, or soft drinks with lunch and dinner
- Complimentary room service for Continental breakfast
- Complimentary Wi-Fi access
- Choice of Classic, Active or Discovery excursions so that you can experience your cruise your way
- Onshore & Onboard experiences with regional customs, cultures & tastings with local artisans, experts & entertainers
- Flatscreen satellite TV with English-speaking channels & over 100 free movie options
- Onboard assistance is available to recommend, reserve and further personalize your cruise
- Linger over several selections from the Panorama Bistro’s tasting menu for a less formal “sit-down” atmosphere
- Well-stocked library with books, cards, and board games
- FlexDining flexible dining times with menu & venue options
The Douro River, also known as the Latin Durius, is the third longest river in the Iberian Peninsula, draining a catchment area of 30,539 square miles (79,096 square km). The river begins in the Sierra de Urbión in Spain and runs mainly westward for 556 miles (895 kilometres) across Spain and northern Portugal to the Atlantic Ocean at Foz do Douro.
Avalon Waterways is a river cruise line owned by the Globus family of enterprises that operates throughout Europe, China, Southeast Asia, South America, India, and the Galapagos Islands. In August 2009, the firm joined the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA).